You thought that turtles are lazy pets that don’t need to exercise? Then you should know that the statement is entirely false. Turtles belong to the reptile family, which makes them eager to move, play and discover new places. They need to exercise, walk, climb and hide, which is why it is essential to provide them a lot of toys and accessories.
Regardless of the species of your turtle, you must offer it a variety of entertaining objects in order to make sure that it will have a happy and healthy life, for as long as possible. See below what the most popular turtle toys are.
Toys and accessories that will make your turtle happy
In its natural habitat, a turtle finds a lot of ways to entertain itself. It is in its natural instinct to move a lot, to play hide and seek, to walk and to explore. By discovering new places, hiking and climbing, they experience a sort of mental stimulation that is crucial for a long life span.
Turtles and tortoises that live in captivity without having something to distract them and something to play with, show signs of depression and lethargy and don’t live long.
Make sure that your turtle lives a happy life, by doing the following:
- Set up a nice, clean and fun aquarium with just enough water for swimming, as well as dry, higher places
- Choose a tank that is large enough for your turtle
- Add some sand and build a tiny beach
- Add empty shells that will make the tank look similar to their natural habitat
- Add stones, sticks, and plants
- Build tiny obstacles made of rocks. Hide living food inside the tank to make it even more interesting
- Remember that turtles like gravel with mixed textures. They like to dig and find food, such as small fish, shrimp or insects
Except for setting up a nice aquarium that has a pond, obstacles, gravel and plants, you can also consider buying things like:
- A turtle dock
- A floating log
- A turtle cliff
- A pier basking platform
- A tiny floating island
- A landing pad in the shape of a leaf
- A landing log in the shape of a tree branch
You are wondering how will your turtle play with all this stuff? Well, worry not. They are naturally attracted by everything that helps them climb and observe their surrounding environment from a higher point. By adding fake grass or shells into the water, you will automatically keep them happy for a while.
Diversity is important for turtles to stay happy and active. Keep in mind that turtles are also into competitions. Organizing a turtle race is one of the most entertaining activities for such a pet. You will be able to see the enthusiasm on its tiny face.
Also, taking your turtle outdoors and offering it a change of environment from time to time will contribute to its wellbeing. Make sure that you supervise its every move, as it can get lost very easily.